Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Technology Sucks

Ok, you have to admit, sometimes it does. Or at least it sucks for the unqualified people in my age bracket. I am an expert in the “ON/OFF” button. Anything more than that and I am easily confused.

With my job, I use my credit card a lot. All of my travel expenses are going on my personal credit card and then I am reimbursed by my company. Right now, I have over $4,000 on my personal credit card, and the bill is due in a few days and they have not sent me all of the expense checks to cover this debt yet. I play this game every month, trying to cover my expenses so that I am not accruing interest charges on my credit card. It’s an ugly game some months.

My company is finally moving to the 21st century, as we are upgrading to company credit cards and on line expense reporting. There is good and bad to everything I do!

This is good, because no more worrying about paying my personal credit card by the 26th of the month when my company takes four to five weeks to reimburse expenses. This is bad because you almost need to be a rocket scientist to figure out the on line system!

I have been through the lengthy tutorial, twice. I just called my contact at corporate for more help. After all that, I still haven’t finished one expense report! And my first week of reporting is only a few postage receipts and some mileage, tolls and parking fees. Holy crap! Can they make it any harder?

After I get this stupid thing to balance out, I still need to scotch tape all of my receipts on an 8-1/2” x 11” piece of paper, put it through the copy machine, and then fax the copy to my corporate office.

Somehow I am supposed to push some magical button (I have not found this button yet!) and the expense report is sent right to my manager for approval. Then, when he is done, he will somehow send it to corporate for processing.

Corporate will then direct deposit any expenses not on my company credit card and they will pay the company credit card directly. I like that I’m not on the hook for all this money anymore on my personal credit card.

But, I have a feeling that my company credit card will max out before I figure out how to work the on line system! I want my nice, simple hand written form back! Technology sucks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! You are turning into your FATHER! Didn't he have much the same fears of new technology? LOL, I am just teasing.

Anonymous said...

Hey, you really haven't had too bad of a heartbreak getting used to a corporate credit card. Wait until you see the mess you have to go through if your card is ever compromised or lost.

Then the fun really begins.

Sometimes it is almost worthwhile to have an attorney on retainer.

Anonymous said...

I know I am writing this late but I just read the blog and Phil's response! Sorry. Wanted to tell you both that I just added Identity Theft coverage to our homeowners insurance for less than 40 dollars a year. $25,000 coverage, they hire an agency and even pay for lost days at work of you have any.