Saturday, March 10, 2007

Good Times

Wednesday night we had one heck of a party at our house.

Brother Jim was nice enough to brave the weather to take a road trip with Dad and come and see us here in Ohio. Brother Mike heard there was a party and he came over too, with dessert! C'mon now, how can you turn someone away that has dessert in their hand?

Whenever Jim and Dad come over, I try to make something that they don't get often. This trip, dinner consisted of Mom's soup, complete with a lot of potatoes and carrots for smashing. In case anyone doesn't know this delicacy, you put a lot of carrots in the soup. When the soup is done, you take a smaller pan, take some of the broth from the soup, and boil potatoes in it. When the potatoes are soft, you take about equal parts of potatoes and carrots in your bowl, no broth, a good pat of butter, and smash them together with a fork. Once smashed and mixed, add some of the cooked thin soup noodles and mix together with the smashed mess in the bowl. Add a little salt and I'm telling you, this is a dish we used to fight over when growing up! It seems that Mom never made enough carrots or potatoes to please us all, so even if you got a little bowl of this for dinner, it was truly a treat.

Now, I tried to make enough for everyone, even Ron! I'm turning that man into a Slovak if it kills me! He is definitely a new convert to this dish.

After those taste buds were sated, we moved on to the soup. If I do say so myself, it tasted just like Mom's. I bought extra ketchup for Dad as we all know how he likes ketchup in his soup. Yes, I think it was all a success. We laughed, we talked and Lord knows, we ate.

I just got a new digital camera for Christmas, so I should have pictures of our party to post here. Unfortunately, no one could put a spoon down long enough. Sorry, I'll try to get better at that. You're going to have to trust me, we were all fat and sassy after this meal.

Thanks to everyone for coming. And, thanks to Mike for leaving the rest of the dessert at my house! Not that my hips need more dessert, but my tummy was sure happy it was here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mike sent photos on the 28 of Feb showing the dish of carrots, potatoes, and noodles. If this was another week of good food, I need advance notice to show up for one of them.

The food looked just scrumptious.