Saturday, March 17, 2007

Duh

In spite of the snow on the ground, like I said, it is spring. I know it, because I saw that red-breasted robin in the yard yesterday.

Another reason I know that it's spring is because pre-season baseball is on WGN from Chicago. WGN and the Chicago Cubs! Ok, I know I've had a hard time being a fan since Mom passed away, and last year, I totally boycotted the entire sport because of the performance enhancement drug scandal. And, when one of my personal heros, Sammy Sosa, is found to be juiced up, what's the point. What can a girl believe in anymore?

The off season trades and talks have started to make me want to believe again. I may not attach myself to a fallen hero like Sammy again, but from the mutterings I've been hearing, I'm am starting to get excited about baseball again this season, especially for my Cubs.

Ok, Dusty Baker has finally been booted out the door. That's a good thing. Kerry Wood may not be 100% but Mark Prior is showing promise again. I like seeing Derrek Lee and Aramis Ramirez back in the line up. Yes, it's actually getting my blood moving a little bit this year! I know, 161 games from now, I may be singing a new tune, but for today, I'm excited about the possibilities of baseball this year.

But I digress.

The whole point of this blog was to tell you about sitting down to watch my first baseball game in well over a year, even though it is just pre-season. The Cubs for pre-season are part of the Cactus League playing in Mesa Arizona. It's a hot day today in Mesa, and my boys in blue are playing baseball in the afternoon sunshine, the way the game was meant to be played. I love to see the Cubs' blue on tv again, but wait! What's that? What is that atrocity of the ugly green hats with the Cubs' logo that is paired with their awesome blue uniform? Every few years, they have been known to change their uniforms a little but c'mon. Green hats with blue uniforms?

I am staring at the tv and asking Ron what is wrong with my world here! Then he points out that the opponents, the San Diego Padres, are also in those awful green hats.

Then it hits me.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Now throw them ugly hats out and PLAY BALL!

No comments: