Friday, April 21, 2006

A Whale Is Just A Whale

I don't get it.

I am one of those people that things are very black and white for me. I have a lot of trouble seeing the gray area. In my mind, Moby Dick is just about a whale and The Old Man and the Sea is about an old guy out fishing. I never see symbolism. I just don't get it. English classes could be a bear because everyone else would start talking in a foreign language as far as I was concerned.

I don't listen to the radio much. I like a couple of local guys in the morning who have a pretty decent talk show going during my drive to work. Other than that, I'm a flipper of stations, just trying to find a song I know and/or like. I don't do much new music. Once in awhile though, one slips through.

While scanning the TV channels with my trusty remote control, I came across VH1. On VH1 was James Blunt singing his new song, You're Beautiful. It was an unplugged version with him on guitar and a keyboard player. The song lyrics are really kinda weird, but there is something about the tone of his voice and the melody. I really really liked it. I even put his CD on my Amazon wish list, at least until I break down and go out and buy the dang thing.

Well, I guess the unplugged version of the video is not the only version. I caught the actual video, probably also on VH1. Ok, now I'm really confused. I have NO earthly idea what the hell this video is supposed to mean. I still love the song for some reason, but I have no idea what this video means. http://www.virgin.net/music/musicvideos/jamesblunt_yourebeautiful_hi.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am with you on the stories. i read them and enjoyed the stories, but never got the point of them and his idea of "the human condition" stuff. I read for the escapism of reading about an adventure I never have experienced and to dream of far away places. Leave the other stuff to the english scholars. I like a good story for the story period.