Sunday, November 01, 2015

That Time of Year

You know what happens when we change our clocks.  We're supposed to change the batteries in our smoke alarms!

I'm anal about a lot of things.  Fire safety in my house is one of those things.  I have four smoke alarms and six fire extinguishers.  As much as I love firemen (and who doesn't!!) I don't want them showing up at my house unless it's a social engagement.  Just sayin'.

I grabbed my four new 9 volt batteries and set out to replace them in all of the smoke alarms.  You know what I noticed for the first time EVER today?  You're also supposed to replace your smoke alarms every 10 years!  Seriously!  Who knew??

The first smoke alarm I did had that sign inside.  With a place for you to write what year you installed it.  I think this alarm came with the house so it's at least since 2003.  Made me look harder at the other three.  Each of them are stamped inside with a date of August 2005 with the words "replace in 10 years" right next to it.  Yes, I guess I'm due!

So, my next time at Sam's Club I will be buying four more smoke alarms.  Then my project will be to keep the batteries, replace the hardware!

Be safe out there.  Please replace all of your batteries in your smoke alarms.  While you're at it, check the dates to see if your alarms need replaced too!

No comments: