Saturday, November 07, 2015

Just as Good the Second Time Around . . . And the Third . . . .Fourth . . .

I don't cook often but when I do, I cook a LOT so I have leftovers.  I love the idea that I can have dinner ready in two minutes during the week.  Ok, not everything I make is as good leftover as other things, but one of my favorites is meatloaf!  It's great on the night it's cooked and even better as leftover meatloaf sandwiches.

I made a lot of meatloaf last weekend and I ate it through most of the week some dinners, some lunches.  Thursday night I had a couple of pieces of meatloaf left, some mashed potatoes and some corn.  I wanted to clean up all of my leftovers so I'm not just making another sandwich.

A normal person probably would have put all three things on a plate, thrown it in the microwave and called it dinner.  I was trying to be creative.  I was imagining all kinds of things I could make with these three ingredients.  I thought I'd cut up the meatloaf and heat it in the microwave.  The corn was mixed into the mashed potatoes and I put them in a small frying pan with a little butter to make kind of a pancake.  I pictured a nice, golden brown pancake over my meatloaf.  I was thinking I needed something crunchy to put on top but after looking in my cupboards, I came up empty.

So there was my thought.  The picture in my head of my made up dinner was beautiful!  And I was sure it was going to taste great!

Then reality set in.


The good news is that the burnt parts really filled the need for something crunchy!

So it didn't look as good as I pictured.  Um, because of the burnt parts, the taste wasn't so great either.  Meh, it was dinner!  Not my best attempt but I ate it.

Tomorrow is Sunday, my day to cook.  I wonder what this week's meal will be!

No comments: