Friday, September 20, 2013

What Time Is It??

Holy crap do the days drag on but the weeks fly by.  (I stole that line from a woman who used to blog.  I miss her blog!  But, I digress.)

I know the calendar says September but I don't think the reality of that fact has hit me yet.  Last night, I ran a few errands after work and got home around 6:30.  By the time I fed, watered and loved on the cats a bit, it was just after 7:00.  The grass REALLY needed cut and I knew that rain was predicted for the rest of the weekend so I figured it was now or next week.   Hey, it's only 7:00, I know I have time to do a fast whip around the yard and get it mowed.  No weed whacking or anything fancy, but I could get the grass cut.

I started as always with the hand mower and got around the trees, the house, the road signs and the water shut off valve.  I am looking up and the sky and I am really wondering if this was a good idea or not.  It is really getting DARK!

I hopped up on the riding mower and started my circuit.  The tree lawns are done, the front is done and I started doing the laps around my yard.  Each lap, it was darker and darker outside.  Seriously, it can't be THAT late!   And by the way, WHY don't riding lawn mowers have head lights?  I need to talk to Craftsman about that.

Anyway, I'm trying to do my turns in the yard by using landmarks because I really can't see the grass.  Suddenly, I am coming from the street side to go west down my yard and I realize that there are really tall weeds to my left, the side I THOUGHT I was done with!  Obviously my landmark theory of mowing the lawn sucked.  But, it was dark outside so who could tell?  I didn't think it looked too bad with what I had done but I was definitely having to call it a night.  I couldn't see a dang thing.

I put the riding mower back in the garage, then pulled my car into the garage and got it all shut up for the night.  I got in the house and looked at the clock.  I figured it had to be after 9:00 because it was so dark.  Seriously, it was 8:00 pm on the dot according to my kitchen clock.  8:00???  We haven't even changed the clocks back yet for daylight savings time. How in the heck could it be DARK by 8:00 in the evening?

The pictures didn't come out great but you get the idea.   It rained today and right now it is pouring.  By the time I get back to cut the grass, it's all going to need cut again!  Ugh, what a waste of an hour last night and THIS is what I have to show for it!  And I'll let you in on a little secret.  Once all of the leaves start falling from the trees, if your grass is short, the wind will blow them all to your neighbor's yard and you won't have to rake them.  See, I am full of good advice for you!


September.  No more doing yard work after running errands after work.  Before you know it I will be coming directly home from work and it will be dark.  At least the lawn won't need to be mowed.  I may have to shovel snow . . . but I won't be mowing the lawn.

***  Who is the dumbass now??  Ron just read my blog and informed me that the riding mower DOES have headlights!!  Serious!  Who knew??!!  Dammit, had I known that, I could have finished the lawn last night.  Grrr.  I've only been using it for like 5 or 6 years now.  What do I know!

5 comments:

Jim said...

Ahem, you missed a spot in the middle there! Sorry, I must have been blocking your headlights!


U J

Unknown said...

Trust me, I had missed a BUNCH of spots! One thing I found out is that I don't drive that mower too straight!!

Luckily, Ron went and finished my bad mow job today. Life is good!

Anonymous said...

I had no clue they made mowers with headlights, either! Learn something new everyday!

Unknown said...

Me too. Never heard of mowers with lights. I have got a mower that I have to move by myself. Mowing is very strenuous this way.

Unknown said...

I need to get out there with Ron so he can show me how to turn them on! Once I learn that, I'll get a picture. Who knew!!