Thursday, December 06, 2012

Ron Update!


It's been awhile now that Ron has been having a lot of trouble with his vision.  As with most guys, he kept putting it off and putting it off, thinking it's going to get better.  Not only didn't it get better, it was getting worse.

At first, he told me that his vision was "blurry".  Being a former diabetic, I know when your vision blurs, it's a sign of diabetes.  I asked Phil right away to take Ron's sugar as that was my first thought.  But, luckily, his sugar was normal.  So much for MY expertise!

A few weeks go by and it gets worse.  Enough is enough.  I loaded him in the car to head for an Urgent Care facility.  If we couldn't get in to the Urgent Care facility, there was a hospital right down the street, I was taking him to the ER.  Enough was enough.

The Urgent Care doctor gave him a good looking over.  He sent Ron to the hospital for a full blood work up.  Once the results were in, we found that his sugar was normal, his heart enzymes were good and his thyroid was working as it should.  There went the top reasons why your vision would blur.

This doctor's suggestion was to see an eye doctor as just about everything else has been ruled out.  Ron was smart enough to call the surgeon that had done his cataract surgery about 5 years ago or so.  He never even got as far as making an appointment with the doctor himself.  The receptionist stated this was a common problem with cataract patients, right at about the five year mark.  Some patients develop secondary cataracts on the posterior side of the implanted lenses.  She booked him for surgery to fix the secondary cataracts that had developed.

Well, he sort of had a diagnosis but what he didn't have was a timely appointment to fix it.  The soonest he could get in to the surgeon was nearly a month away.   That was not good as Ron's job consists of him driving to hump service calls, and when he's not on a service call he's on his computer.  He enlarged the font on his computer and Phil even got him a monitor magnifier.  It helped but he had a heck of a time these past weeks trying to function.  He willingly gave up his car keys right away and Phil has really stepped up to the plate and ran Ron everywhere he needed to go.

Even to the eye surgeon today!

Ron had differing opinions as to whether they'd do one eye today or both eyes.  When they dilated his eyes, they did dilate both of them so Ron was pretty excited it was all going to be fixed today.  Unfortunately, his right eye that they started with was so bad, it took much more work to correct it than the doctor had anticipated.  After all that, the doctor was stopping at one eye.  He will have to go back in the middle of January to get the second eye done.  IF he can wait that long.

The good news is that Ron felt immediate improvement.  By immediate, I mean even when they were still using the laser on his eye, he could see his vision improving!  I haven't seem him smile this wide in a long time!  I can't imagine living with that kind of vision.  It really did affect every aspect of his life.  He couldn't read, he couldn't watch TV, he had trouble working,  he couldn't drive.  Hopefully, this means that much better days are ahead for Ron!

Now, I have a theory.  It's Ron's eyes having to see me naked.  C'mon now, think about it!  We move in together, he sees me naked.  He develops severe cataracts in BOTH eyes at a very young age.  He has those removed five years ago and continues to see me naked.  As a defense mechanism, his eyes develop SECONDARY cataracts! Poor Ron!!  Now, he has 50% of those cataracts fixed!  I think I need to start changing in the dark or in the bathroom.  After all, I have to be concerned about Ron's future eyesight!  Sorry, honey!  I didn't mean to hurt you!!

I'm glad he came through the surgery with flying colors, even if he did only get one eye done.   He didn't realize how bad his eyes were until they fixed one of them.  As long as Ron closes one eye, he can see really well through his other one!  I am glad he's getting this fixed already.  I missed the twinkle in his baby greens!

3 comments:

Ron said...

It ain't you honey, It's me!

Anonymous said...

Get better soon, Ron! I think, Ree is a fantastic nurse, isn't she!?

Mark said...

I laughed my a## off!! You're too friggin' funny! Glad to hear the surgery helped!!