Monday, December 31, 2012

No Sharp Objects For Me!

Trust me, if you are queasy and don't want to see bloody pictures, STOP READING THIS POST!!!

Don't say you weren't warned!

I have a few blogs that have been on the back burner since the beginning of November when my sister Cathie was visiting from California.  Talk about dragging my feet, huh?  I've been blogging-challenged lately as you can tell.  Well, it's now December 31st and I have vowed to clean up my blog backlog and start the new year out fresh.  Hence, a blog post that is a couple of months old.  That's ok, it's still a good story!

Cathie and I spent one day out shopping.  We went to one of my favorite shopping places, Bed Bath & Beyond.  This store has to be shopped slowly.  You can't just run into BB&B and pick up one or two things and leave and go back about your day.  NO.  You must plan a few hours to put aside to thoroughly go through this store correctly.

Cathie and I had breakfast, then headed out into the jungle.  I mean, Bed Bath & Beyond!

Like I said, to do this store right, you need to set aside a lot of time.  Put on some good supportive shoes and some loose clothing.  You need to be comfortable while at BB&B.  Cathie and I looked at every freaking thing in that store.  We walked up and down every aisle, tested, touched, turned over almost every item in the kitchen wares department.  For a woman that is not a shopper, I was in absolute shopper's heaven!  We were in that store for hours. 

Let me tell you, when you are in a store for hours, touching everything, giggling and laughing, eventually you have management taking notice and wondering if they should call the police.  The manager finally came up and started to talking to us.  Personally, I think he was just trying to get a better look to decide if he should call for reinforcements, but I digress.

As we were standing there talking, I noticed this contraption right in front of us. It was a contraption to make home made potato chips in the microwave.  This contraption came with a mandolin.  In case you don't know what a mandolin is, it's a razor blade held in place by a piece of plastic.  You run your potato (or any other vegetable) up and down this razor blade and each slice is exactly the same width.  For making potato chips in the microwave, this would be very important.  I bought one.

Cathie and I grabbed a sweet potato, and I went to try out the mandolin.  If you know anyone with a mandolin, I am SURE they have their own story of cutting off fingers or at least needing stitches or staples.  They are that dangerous.  The mandolins come with a hand guard, but being a cheap mandolin, it was a cheap hand guard.  It really did not grip the potato, so I was just going to hold the potato in my hand and try to be careful.  Yeah, right.

Remember when this post started and I warned  you not to look any farther if you were squeamish?  I MEAN it.  Stop reading if you don't want to see!  It's gross!

Anyway, I was doing fine with the slicing of the potato until Cathie said the magic words "be careful!"  AARGH and I thought she loved me!  So no sooner uttered those words and turned around, and BAM.  My hand slipped and the top of my knuckle went right across that damn razor blade.


This sucker did not want to quit bleeding.  (by the way, I told you it was gross!)  As you can see, I just took off the top of my knuckle.  That means there was nothing there to stitch back up, so there was nothing I could do but live through it.  GEEZ this f-er hurt.

But, Cathie did her good deed and did some great first aid on me.  When the bleeding finally slowed down to a trickle, she put on a pressure dressing.


This sucker took forever to heal.  Unfortunately, because of where the injury was, every time I moved my finger, I'd break it back open.  This was the next day when at least the bleeding had stopped.


Still gross, huh?  It took over a month for this to close up.  It was such a stupid move and I have always said that stupidity should be painful.  Well, this was sure painful, and of course stupid!

The good thing is that it was my middle finger and I did have it bandaged for a long time.  I got as much mileage out of it as I could as I'd flip the bird to just about everyone I knew saying "have you seen my finger??"  Hey, I have to get my enjoyment where I can sometimes!

That was that week's bonehead move.  It was worth it though.  Cathie and I had a great time shopping that day and I gotta tell you, once you threw out the potatoes with the blood and the piece of finger on them, in three minutes, I had some GREAT potato chips made with no oil!  You can't beat that!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch, ouch, ouch! Poor Ree, I hope that it has totally healed in the meantime. This must have been in autumn?
Hugs, it hurts me when I see this and imagine all the pain you had. Hugs!

Unknown said...

This was the beginning of November. It's mostly closed up by now! It was tough being right on the knuckle. I kept opening it back up every time I moved my finger!

Lesson learned - no more mandolins for me!

Anonymous said...

I am really glad to hear that it is better now!