Thursday, March 22, 2012

Hello? It's Me!

I started off March with such high hopes of keeping up a blog a day string.  That went well for the first nine days and then poof!  Oh well.

There's really not a whole lot to blog about, just a few little things.  So, I'll get y'all up to date on what's been going on around here.

Let's start with Saturday.  We went to "A Night at the Races" with our friends, Lisa and Chuck.  This was a benefit for a sports program in the Lorain schools.  Hey, we're jiggy with any reason to party!  Plus it was St. Patrick's Day!

Your ticket got you an all you can eat buffet plus all the beer you could drink.  Lucky for me, they also had some soda and bottled water as I was the designated driver.  The food was decent and I even had a piece of chocolate cake.  And it was worth every point I took for it!

I had never been to "A Night at the Races" before so I really didn't know what to expect.  They have videos of 12 horse races.  From when or where I don't know.  You don't really get to know anything about the actual horses that are in the races.  Before the big night, people had  "purchased" the horses for a donation, and for that donation they were listed as the owners of the horse and they got to name their horse.  I believe the "owners" also go a monetary sum if their horse won their race.  Then, all of us got to bet on the horses, just like at the track.

The video starts with the horses being walked to the starting line.  You got to see the actual horses from an actual race.  I looked for who was looking excited to race versus who was walking slowly.  I put a lot of faith into that walk!  I looked for a horse who was prancing around looking ready to run!  I wish I could have seen which horse took a crap on the way to the start!  I always bet on that horse!  Hey, he's lighter than the rest and TRULY ready to go!  But, so much for my theory since I didn't win a damn thing.  That's ok though, since we had a ton of fun.

We bet on most of the races and just like at the track, it's $2 a bet.  Ron and I each had our theories on how to bet.  I told you mine.  His was pretty much whatever name he liked better.  Whatever.  Stupid theory.  Ok, he ended up winning money with his theory but whatever!  I'm not a sore loser!

We really did have a good time and we weren't the only ones.  You really need to check out Lisa's picture of one of the party go'ers.  Had I know we should have dressed up for St. Patrick's Day, I would have.  Not that I could have done better than this woman, but maybe I could have at least given her a run for her money!  I really hope you clicked that link because it is SO worth it!

Changing topics now:  Tuesday I was driving to work and I had to stop at the post office on the way.  So I went over to East River Road and headed south.  That's kind of a woodsy area on East River.  Suddenly, the car in front of me stopped, so I stopped.  He sat there for a minute and then all of a sudden, I saw 10 to 15 wild turkeys walking from in front of his car to the side of the road on my right.  Now with the Lorain 365 blog, I ALWAYS have my camera on the front seat next to me.  But I'm telling you, this happened so fast!  The turkeys walked to the side and then off into the woods.  By the time I got my camera up and ready, the car in front of me moved and there was now a line of cars behind me.  I couldn't tie up traffic and I saw no where to pull over to try to get a couple of shots.  This was a missed opportunity for sure!  That was an awesome sight and definitely not something I was expecting to see on a Tuesday morning!  It was a great way to start my day for sure.

Yesterday was March 21st.  I had to mow my lawn yesterday.  For REAL!  The new weeds, I mean grass, that the city planted after they had redone the street was up over 8" high.  I couldn't stand looking at it.  After work, Ron was in the garage working on his motorcycle, so I thought since I had to leave my car out of the garage while he was working, I might as well just start mowing the lawn.  Hey, that's just the way my mind works.  Ron offered to give me a hand and even gave me the choice if I wanted the push mower or the riding mower.  Call me an idiot but I took the push mower duties.  First, I needed the steps (I need to do at least 5,000 steps a day!) and the activity points for mowing the lawn.  Besides, that riding mower still scares me.  I can do it, but I don't like it.  With the two of us working it, we were done in just over a half an hour.  I don't think I've EVER had to cut the grass in March before.  This is just crazy ass weather we've been having.  I shudder to think what this summer is going to bring us.

Do you like how I threw those little diet tidbits in there?? 

Next topic, Phil.  When Phil goes downstairs in the morning, he puts water on to heat for his coffee.  While he's waiting for the water to boil, he usually sits at the dining room table and reads while he's waiting.  That seems to be his and Benny's bonding time!  Tell me, isn't Uncle Phil cute giving a little love to Benny?  That cracks me up!


That's about it for the updates from here.   For now, no news is good news.

Just one last thing . . . .

Happy Birthday, Mom.  I miss you.

1 comment:

Georgia said...

Awwww, such a nice photo! Herarty greetings to Phil! Now I have a picture in my mind connected to his person.

That's really crazy, mowing the lawn so early. We also have very warm weather here, but because of the severe frost in February the lawn is still more brown and dead than green. It's good ike it is, because I'm ill and a lot of craftsmen are messing around here.