Thursday, November 19, 2009

Highs And Lows

I sure did a dumb ass move this week.

You know I can never tell a story quickly, I have to start with a little back ground. So, here we go.

The company that Ron works for is based out of California. One of the owners of his company is in town for training on some equipment that they maintain. Ron was invited to partake in this training as well. So, poor Ron has been busy all week, going to training all day long with the boss.

Most of what Ron does is done in the field at a client's location. His company has recently sprung for a couple polo shirts with "Field Services" stitched on them for all of the guys. They're nice shirts, nothing spectacular, but nice. They just came in a day or so before the boss did. Ron asked if I'd wash them one day so he could wear one of them to training.

That should have been an easy task, right? Well, I did mention that I had a dumb ass move this week and this was it.

I put the shirts in the washer along with enough other dirty clothes to make up a full load. I loaded the washer, turned it on and left the basement. Fifty four minutes later, I was back in the basement, threw all of the clothes in the dryer and was getting ready to put my comforter in the washer. Hey, as long as I was on a roll with the washer, why not, huh? Anyway, as soon as I turned from the dryer it hit me: I never put any soap in the washer when I washed that load! Aargh! I hate to waste!

There I was, comforter back out of the washer, wet clothes back in the washer and this time, I added the soap. Go me! I know this isn't the best story I ever had, but it was bad enough that I was kicking myself for it the rest of the day.

I got a pick me up later on that day though when modern technology stepped in. I know some of the technology out there but some of it still amazes me.

My brother Michael is in China right now and I got to video chat with him, live! That technology still just amazes me! Half way around the world and we were in a live chat. Thankfully he couldn't sleep that night as it was three in the morning in China, but it was great to see him!

I got to hear all kinds of stories about what is going on with his trip, most notably the braised bull penis on the menu. Hmm. That darn guy will eat anything! Yeah, my trips to Topeka or Buffalo seem so much better in hind sight!

Which brings me to today. We have invited Ron's boss over for dinner tonight. This is a guy that is another world traveler who grew up in a different culture than mine. We had a conversation the last time he was in town about some of the food he'd grown up on that would make Michael proud. What the heck can you cook for a guy like this?

My first thought was orange spaghetti! If you know our family, you know this was a staple that we grew up on. There are so many variations on this dish that it truly is a perfect dinner. Ok, maybe Ron doesn't agree with that, but I bet brother Phil and I could eat it every week with leftovers! You can make it with or without hamburger. Then, add mushrooms or not? See the possibilities? For sure there are onions and garlic in this dish and the sauce is made from Campbell's tomato soup. Don't laugh until you've tried it. We LOVE it!

So, Ron poo-poo'd that idea and we agreed on a more traditional meal. I'm making a new dish I've made a few times that we love. I am making a pork loin with orange glaze. It ain't no orange spaghetti but it will have to do.

I say the next time the boss comes to town - we get jiggy with him. Orange spaghetti or cabbage and noodles! He's eaten MUCH worse in his day this should be a cake walk.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We will have to see what sort of world traveller he is when he will try dad's specialty of adding Catsup to his soup!

U J