Thursday, April 17, 2008

Who Are You? Who? Who? Who? Who?

Don't we all just love Who Are You by The Who? Ok, maybe not everyone loves it, but I sure do. I love it so much in fact, that every Thursday after we watch Survivor, I have to turn the TV up really loud to hear that song as it plays as the theme song to CSI! (CSI comes on right after Survivor in case not everyone knew that!) And what do I do while the song is playing?

While I sing of course!

Loudly AND badly! The joke is always after the song I turn to Ron and ask him if any of the notes I just sang were on key! Sometimes I think I'm having a good night and I think I might have hit one or two of them! However, Ron at least is honest with me and will usually tell me the truth that while none of them were actually on the key they should have been, maybe I did get close on a couple! Hey, good enough for me.

That's fine while we're in the house, just the two of us. Poor guy has to put up with a lot of things from me, my terrible singing voice just being one of them things.

Let's fast forward to today. I'm just having a bad work day. I don't want to be here and I definitely don't want to be here stuck in a room with the two dufuses. There is not one healthy cell between them at the moment. I get to spend my day listening to the both of them hacking, coughing, snorting, noses blowing, hacking, choking. Yeah, have you ever heard of a sick day? Geez.

To top that off, listening to the two of them talk to each other can some days be exasperating. Today just happens to be a day that I just don't want to deal with the two of them. So what do I do?

I put my headphones on and tune into an internet radio station just to tune them out. Before you start thinking that I am more technologically advanced than I am, this is a trick I've just recently figured out. In case anyone is slower with technology than I am, it's part of the Windows Media Player. Somewhere on there is an option for internet radio. Once you're there, you can choose different stations listed under different genres. The cool thing is no talking (on the music stations at least!) and as far as commercials go, you just get the station promos after every five songs or so to identify the station you are listening to. I don't know one from another, so I just picked a classic rock station that stated they played everything from Aerosmith to ZZ Top! Most excellent! I am old! This is MY kind of music!

So, headphones are in and I am trying not to jam while working. They have really been playing one great song after another! And then it happened. Suddenly I heard "WHO ARE YOU? WHO? WHO? WHO? WHO?" Do you have any idea how much intestinal fortitude it took for me to not join in and sing loudly and badly? C'mon now! I can just imagine the reaction I'd get if I started to sing like I do at home!

I put both hands over my mouth for a few minutes and enjoyed the rest of the song. Who knew I could play music that loudly on my earphones!

By the way, it is pretty difficult to analyze tax codes while jamming to The Who. That's why I had to take a break to blog before going back to it. Uh oh. Golden Earring is playing Radar Love! Yeah, my break just got extended by 3 minutes.

I've been drivin' all night, my hand's wet on the wheel
There's a voice in my head that drives my heel
It's my baby callin', says I need you here
And it's a half past four and I'm shiftin' gear

God, I hope all my singing that I hear is all in my head!

No comments: