Tuesday, April 22, 2008

That's Just Wrong, Page 13

Another page for my book titled "That's Just Wrong".

Last night I went to dinner with Michael and Mary Jane. Since I was at their house already, we opted for a restaurant just down the street from them, Ruby Tuesday's. Their food has never done that much for me, but I do think they have one of the best salad bars around, especially their honey mustard dressing. Yummy! They also have some of the freshest cottage cheese and while they no longer have raisins on the salad bar, they have substituted craisins (dried cranberries) which are almost as good.

But, I digress. I'm not here talking about the food.

Another bright spot of Ruby Tuesday's is the lamps that were all over the restaurants. Over each table was a beautiful stained glass lamp, each one was different and a more beautiful than the one before it. I've hit my head on many of them getting in or out of a booth, but that's not what I'm complaining about today either. I am complaining because we went to the restaurant expecting to get to enjoy the beauty of all of these lamps while we had dinner.

But that didn't happen. This Ruby Tuesday's has been remodeled. No more stained glass lamps. They have been replaced with, I'm trying to quote Michael here, "replaced with something that my own mother threw out over 20 years ago". Yeah, that's bad. But, it gets worse.

Michael, a connoisseur of stained glass, asked our server Katie, what had happened to all of the lamps and if they were for sale. Here is the "That's Just Wrong" part.

According to Katie, the employees were offered a lamp at a low, low, LOW cost of $100 each. I imagine that's a lot of money for a server at Ruby Tuesday's, but it would be a great investment for anyone that could have scraped up that money. When the employees returned to work the following day, they found out that ALL of the lamps had been taken to the dumpster and thrown out! What?

First, if you're going just going to throw out the lamps, why tell the employees that they can have them for $100 a pop? Just freakin' give them the lamps! Or, auction or ebay or garage sale them off. If the company doesn't want the profits from the sales of the lamps, donate the proceeds to the nearest food bank or other charity of your choice. But to throw them out??

According to our source inside (that would be Katie!) she said that two older ladies were seen back at the dumpster hauling out the booty and loading up their cars. At least they know a great value when they see them.

So, to Ruby Tuesday's on Abbe Road in Elyria - shame on you. To throw out these beautiful pieces of art, That's Just Wrong.

No comments: