Monday, April 28, 2008

Chores 'n Stuff

Ron made it home safe and sound on Friday afternoon. I guess I should have posted this sooner as there have been a lot of people asking about him! Yes, he is home, and he is doing surprisingly well with the jet lag. Aside from being very tired Friday night, to me he seemed back to normal by Saturday. Well...as normal as he gets anyway!

I learned one thing on Friday night. I knew Ron was existing mostly on sandwiches while in Amsterdam. You pick your bread, you pick your meat and cheese and you slap it all together and call it a meal. While I have no problem with this lifestyle, I know this is not his cup of tea. I imagined that the poor guy would want a substantial meal when he got in, and I don't think he would want to wait for me to cook something after getting home. Friday nights are always challenging when it comes to finding someplace to eat where you don't have to wait an hour for a table. So, I tried something I never have before - call ahead seating.

I called Texas Roadhouse as we were pulling out of the airport and said I'd like a table for two. She gave me a confirmation number, and we just drove leisurely out of the airport and over to the restaurant, maybe a half hour away. We went in, checked in, and had to wait maybe two minutes before we were taken back to our seats. Considering the lobby was packed with people waiting to be seated, this was such a bonus! Hardly any waiting and we were soon sitting with a bucket of fresh peanuts and a basket of warm rolls. Hard to beat that.

Saturday, Ron did have to take a service call in the early evening. Luckily, he was only gone a few hours, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Other than that, the weekend was a good one.

With the time of year, everything at home is growing like crazy. Our grass had to be a good six inches high in spots! Well, I'm afraid of the riding lawn mower and there is no way I'm doing all of that with just a push mower, so the grass was one thing that had to wait for the honey do list for when he got back. (Luckily, I did take care of that spider all by myself that was previously residing in our bathroom, may he rest in peace.)

Sunday it was an absolutely gorgeous day so we headed out for some yard work. In our neighborhood, before you do anything, you have to go out and pick up the crap. With a park a block up the street and a convenience store a block over, plus just idiots driving up and down the street, you never know what you'll find in our yard. You can guarantee though that most of it won't be good for a lawnmower.

I picked up a broken whiskey bottle (and I wasn't able to find all of the pieces of that - what's that about?), an intact beer bottle, a condom wrapper (magnums, thank you very much) candy wrappers, paper cups, juice boxes, homework papers, mysterious plastic pieces, plastic grocery bags, potato chip bags etc. It took me two trips to the garbage with all of this crap. And, it's not like this stuff just piles up out there. We police our yard almost daily, so this is not an uncommon load. As a matter of fact, once Ron even found a dead dog in a garbage bag on our front lawn. I can't even imagine someone's thought process on that one. Thank heavens so far, the only thing I haven't found in our yard have been new or used needles.

Anyway, after the garbage pick up, we start the mowing. Ron does give me the choice of riding the riding mower or pushing the hand mower. The hand mower has to just go around the edges of the grass, by the flower beds, and around all of the trees and sign posts. Trust me, you can get pretty dizzy going around everything twice to give him room with the riding mower to not smack his head on branches in the yard, or not worry about getting in close to a sign post on the tree lawn.

Ron thinks he gets the sweeter deal because he can sit on the mower while I'm out there pushing and getting dizzy. He can't understand why I choose the "harder" job. HA! Because I can be done with my part lickety split and be back to doing other things while he's still riding around! I'm no dummy!! He was only 1/2 done when I was back in the house, kool aid in hand, with the Cubs game on the TV! I still think I got the better end of the work detail.

Ok, the Cubs lost, but they are still in first place (knock wood) in the NL Central Division. Yeah, it's starting out to be a great summer. Welcome home, Ron and GO CUBS!

No comments: