Monday, June 11, 2007

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Saturday seemed to be our day for good deeds.

We started out with driving to my nephew’s house in Pennsylvania to help them move. We had beautiful weather for it and a decent sized crew to work, so all went extremely well. We got most of the stuff out of the old house and into the new house. Hey, putting stuff away was not in my contract, so once the moving vans were unloaded, we boogied on home.

Perhaps the word “boogied” is too much of a stretch of the imagination. Actually, I collapsed into the van and Ron started the drive home.

Some time when we were still in Pennsylvania, Ron woke me from my nap to tell me that the van in front of us was having a lot of trouble. That’s all I needed to hear, I was now wide awake!

It was some kind of Jeep minivan/small SUV type vehicle, pulling what looked like an empty boat trailer. The road we were on was a four lane divided highway, so two lanes in each direction. This was not enough real estate for this crazy woman in front of us. We watched for awhile as she went from the guard rail on the right over into her proper lane, then into the left lane and then back to her lane.

I was terrified of Ron trying to pass her, so he stayed back and we watched. The more we watched, the worse it got. Finally I couldn’t take it anymore and I actually called 911. I explained that it was a dark colored, green or black, mini van pulling an empty boat trailer. I stated the mile marker we were at as well as the direction of travel. The State Police asked a few questions to verify, and then said they’d post a car up ahead to pull her over. It couldn’t happen soon enough for us, I’ll tell you.

We stayed behind her for almost another 10 miles. It was harrowing just watching her weave all over the road. Finally, Ron couldn’t take it anymore and when she zigged to the right, Ron zagged to the left and went around her and hopefully out of harm’s way.

It was almost 15 miles from where I made the 911 call until we saw a State Trooper on the left side of the road, in the shoulder, waiting for her to go by. We were now a good mile or so ahead of her, so we missed the excitement of any action while pulling her over, but hopefully it turned out to be a good deed after all. Otherwise all we did was really piss off a driver with Indiana plates trying to head home.

1 comment:

Jim's Blog said...

Drunk, Too Tired, or Diabetic Coma could cause that. in any case, i am glad you missed finding out which it was.