Friday, June 15, 2007

But Can Ya Fry An Egg?

Most people know I’m a reality TV junkie. My favorite reality show changes from time to time, but I really do love most of them!

One of them playing now that is on the top of my list at the moment is Hell’s Kitchen on Monday nights on Fox. Hell’s Kitchen has chef Gordon Ramsay taking a bunch of wanna be high end chefs that range from executive chefs to short order cooks and putting them through the paces on the race to see who gets to run a multi-million dollar restaurant on their own along with a nice salary of $250k per year plus a portion of the profits of said restaurant. Who cares about the prizes though! It’s the journey getting there that sucks me in every week!

Chef Ramsay is a task master. There are various challenges that the contestants must go through every episode, and then there is one contestant kicked off the show every week. This, in my opinion, is the best part of reality TV! This guy, Chef Ramsay, is unbelievable. He swears like a marine and every week will make at least two chefs cry in Hell’s Kitchen. It’s freakin’ awesome.

The best part of Hell’s Kitchen is the perfection that Chef Ramsay demands. If a dish is not perfect, he will throw it out (or at the chefs in training!) and make them start again. Granted, I’m sure that my specialty of orange spaghetti would never pass his scrutiny, but I appreciate his demanding perfection.

All that background just to tell a story. We went to dinner the other night and the experience was horrible. It was a local place that we had been to before. While it’s not a Gordon Ramsay five star restaurant, when we had been there previously, the food was good and the service was ok.

This time, service was awful as was the food. My chicken was passable, but the pasta side dish that came with it was all clumped into one big clump and cold. The service was downright horrible. Again, this isn’t a five star restaurant, but my $20 meal should be a little better than it was. Who’s the kitchen manager? Where is quality control? How could a dish that looked as badly as it did make it out of the kitchen and onto my table? Why can’t life be more like reality TV? Where is Gordon Ramsay when I need him?

1 comment:

Jim's Blog said...

Just be real careful that you do not say that if your chef was Ramsey. He would come out storming and say that you have no taste! And be careful that he does not throw the dinner at you! LOL