Saturday, February 25, 2006

Sitting Duck

Yesterday was a bit of a stressful day. My boss left on Thursday, so that left me all alone on Friday to find my own way back to the airport! And, to do all the weekly reports that are due on Friday. Top that with the fact that Friday is a short day due to flying out, and there aren't enough hours in a Friday to do it all.Oh well. At least it goes by quickly.

So, Friday, I'm busting a hump to get it all out. There really was no time for lunch. I was thinking I know I pass a Wendy's on the way to the airport, I thought I'd just stop there for a burger and call it good.

There are usually two windows at most drive thrus. The first window, you pay for your food, then pull up to the second window to pick up that food. Well, in between window #1 and window #2 there was a duck walking around! A duck! A mallard even! Waddling around like he owned the place. So, I waited until the duck moved then pulled up to get my food. I pulled around and parked across from where the drive thru windows were so I could eat my lunch before trying to follow the directions to the airport.

I notice my friendly duck still waddling around the parking lot, as if looking for leftovers. Then I noticed someone at the drive thru window throwing ice at the duck. Now that pissed me off! While I'm not a great animal lover, I can't stand to see anyone being cruel to one either. So, I'm parked. To my left are a couple of empty spots, then a parked car. By now, the duck is on the other side of that parked car.

I grabbed a french fry, ripped it in half, and threw it back behind the other parked car, hoping the duck would see it. Sure enough, he came waddling out and woofed it down. Believe it or not, the duck actually looked around as if to see where this manna from heaven came from! He sees me there, window down, looking back at him. He waddles up right NEXT to my car! I swear, if I had been lower to the ground, I could have reached out and grabbed him!

Now I'm thinking of can a duck hurt me if he decided to fly into the car! So I figured I'm gonna keep my new friend happy and hopefully keep him out of my car. I'd try to throw the food away from my car so he'd back up a bit, and then when he was done and wanted more, he would waddle right back next to my window and look up at me. How can I resist that?? When all was said and done, he ate about a quarter of my burger and about half of my fries. Then he turns and just walks off! How rude! Loved me and left me.

Actually, those fries are pretty salty. So, the duck went to where the ice was thrown at him to drink up the water from the ice melting. I knew how he felt! I finished my soda, then dumped the ice next to the car for my new little friend.

I know it's a silly story, but it really made me smile. I've fed seagulls and pigeons before, but this was my first begging duck! And, he made me smile. That alone was worth part of my lunch on a hectic day.

No comments: