Friday, July 12, 2013

Party in Sheffield Lake!

Our neighboring city to the east of us is Sheffield Lake.  Sheffield Lake is celebrating their Community Days this weekend.

You know I love a fair and I love a parade!  The weather finally took a turn for the better and it was a gorgeous night for a parade.  The grassy areas were filled with water and mud, but as long as you watched where you were walking, all was good.  Plus, there was a surprise at the end of the parade so I had to be there!

A fair has to have rides and fun!




There was a lot to see and do and of course eat, all through the fair.



And while this was not Weight Watchers friendly, it was worth each of the 30 points I took for it!  Yum!


Then it was time to try to get a good spot for the parade.  I thought there were a lot of people, but regulars at this parade thought the turn out was sparse.  Well, I think I stole some one's fun because I had a blast at the parade.  People were lining up early:




This parade started with the hotties.  That would be men in uniform for anyone that doesn't know me!


My personal favorite, the firemen!!  The neighboring towns showed up to represent!






Next, came the Colors.  I may not forward a ton of emails to "prove I love this country" but I do love this country.  I cry every time I hear the National Anthem, I am grateful to all service men and women past present and future, and seeing the Colors fly, gives me goosebumps.


A lot of people were either not taught correctly or have forgotten what to do when the flag is flying or the National Anthem is playing.  This gentleman in front of me, stood up as the Colors went by, took off his hat and placed it over his heart.


I wanted to give a shout out to this gentleman for doing the RIGHT thing and setting a great example.  Thank you sir, for your service.

I wish I would have switched to video mode for this float!  This was one of them hover crafts and they had a blast with it!  Everyone dressed as Star Wars characters and they had that hover craft DANCING in the street!  Props, people!


The only negative thing I could say about this parade was that there was only ONE marching band.  Next to the emergency vehicles, the marching bands are my favorite!  This was a large marching band but still . . . you can never have too many of them in a parade!  Kudos to Brookside High School band.  Good job!




Wowway digital cable and high speed internet had a great float!


And no parade is complete without Santa!  I guess this means that Christmas is almost here!  Yikes!!


What a great evening.  The celebration is happening all weekend, so if you're looking for something to do, head over to the Shoreway Shopping Plaza at 4128 Lake Road.

There always has to be one bad apple or moron in any group.  This is a family event, and full of kids.  What in the heck was this moron thinking when he got dressed to go out in public?


You want to wear that shirt out at the bar or out with your friends, have at it.  At a festival with your KIDS, that's just wrong.

Moron aside, it was a great time.  And a great excuse to dust off my camera and get out there taking pictures!

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Glad you had such a great evening. Unfortunately, school bands in small communities around home here have disappeared!! With enrollment dropping and schools combining, it is a sad site. Ripley graduated their last class this year....with 23 Seniors. In the fall, 7-12 grades will be bussed to Chautauqua Lake Central School in Mayville....20 miles away!! My graduating school of Brocton is combining their HS classes with Westfield too. Cherry Festival Parade is tomorrow and it will be mainly Fire Companies from PA and NY....very few other marchers and more classic/hot rod cars. Time has changed what was once such a fun and memorable time we had when we were children. It's too bad that today's kids don't get to see the Old Days!! It was certainly great days back then!! I love and miss seeing you....we missed Lorain's Festival this year again.....maybe next year. With taking the boys during the days, it makes a short weekend for us!! Maybe again soon!! Take care!!

Unknown said...

It was a lot of fun! There may have only been one marching band but it was HUGE. I bet there was between 50 and 100 kids in that band!

I'm sorry to hear that your kids won't have an easy time getting to and from school. 20 miles is a LONG way to go.

I miss you guys!! I'll save you a seat at the next festival! Love you guys!