Friday, March 22, 2013

Trust Our Government, That's Just Wrong, Page 28

First off, I always thought I'd write a book.  Well, I actually have a few ideas in my head, but one in particular would be called "That's Just Wrong".  This would be a book of short stories or anecdotes that once you read them you'd slap your palm to your forehead and say to yourself "That's Just Wrong".  I've been posting this future book, page by page into this blog.  So far, I'm up to this entry, or page 28 of my future book!

Here is my story:

I am a huge fan of our right to free speech.  This is just one of the things that makes this country so great.  I have the right to say any damn thing I want to.  With that right however, I believe we also have a responsibility to use good judgement and common sense before we open our mouths and start spouting crap.

For example, I don't care if you're a Democrat or Republican or an Independent or any other party.  I don't care if you're Christian, Muslim, Jewish or Druid.  It is your right to be what you want to be and to talk about what you want to talk about.  I don't have to agree with you, but I will fight for your right to say what you want.

But here is where we need to talk about the common sense factor.  People that have been fired for bad mouthing their employer on social media comes to mind.  Yes, it's your right to call you boss an idiot publicly, but then you can't be surprised when they take offense to it and fire you.  Common sense.

I have called out the city I live in on this blog for their wrong doing to me, my neighborhood and my city.  That's why I was not surprised then when I was personally attacked by the city by means of a citation for a loose ornamental brick on my house.  Common sense.

You don't walk into an airport and yell "I have a gun" or jokingly say to your friend "Hi, Jack!" without
expecting to be thrown to the ground and then taken off to a room to be interrogated.  Common sense.

This brings us to one day last week when I was standing in line at the post office in Elyria on Bridge Street.  If you've ever been to this post office, you know you're going to stand in line.  They had two or three tellers working that day.  Suddenly, a young guy comes out of the back, walks up to each of the teller windows and was taking packages out of their bins to take to the back and sort.  I was AMAZED at the t-shirt this guy was wearing.  This wasn't the exact one, but the words are the same.  His t-shirt had a different picture of a Native American on it.

Wow.  My first thought was to get my camera out of my purse to take a picture of this guy at work!  I know I can take a picture of whatever I want to when I am out in public.  There is no right to privacy when you are outside in a public place.  However, I did not know what would happen if I started taking pictures IN a govenrnment building OF a government employee!  So I had to settle for a Google search for the t-shirt in question!

Dude, it's your right to say what's on your mind, even if it's about this government.  However, when you are EMPLOYED by this government, how could you have possibly thought this t-shirt was appropriate attire to wear to WORK?  And what about his supervisor?  You're letting this guy be seen by the public wearing this shirt?    I was just astounded.

I would have cared less if I saw this t-shirt on the guy while he was at the grocery store, at the mall, at the park or as a customer at the post office.  But this is what you wore to WORK at the post office.  For that stupid decision, I have to give you one piece of advice:

If you dislike your employer or your job that much, QUIT.  Along with free speech in this country comes a whole lot of other freedoms. You are not a slave who is owned by his employer.  Go find another job.  Good luck with that by the way.  Go find another job that pays what you are getting paid and has the benefits that you have as a government employee.

Not knowing how to dress yourself for work and for having no common sense, That's Just Wrong.

2 comments:

Loraine Ritchey said...

Ree there used to be rules about what you can legally video, film 'inside" a building and a persons right to privacy- I am not sure whether that has changed but outside all used to be fair game but inside you used to have to have permission to photogrPH etc an individual..... as I said that may have changed I don't know.... MIGHT BE WORTH A POST....:)

Anonymous said...

Don't know how exactely the rules about privacy are, but I think you did it right by posting only a motif from the internet. - By the way, 100% agree. He can wear this in his free time. But I think he only thought that it was a funny saying and did not think further on.