Sunday, June 21, 2009

In Our Own Back Yard

Friday we had a bright spot in between all of the rain we've been having. Ron and I decided to take advantage of it!

We headed out to Lakeview Park right here in Lorain! How often do you ever become a tourist in your own city? I'm telling you, if you don't, you should. The beauty in our own back yard so to speak was astounding.

We go to Lakeview Park often. There is public access to the beaches on Lake Erie as well as picnic grounds, bocce courts (see last post!), a restaurant and this gorgeous rose garden. As many times as we've been to this park, I don't think we've ever walked through the rose garden. Friday we made up for it!

Let me first say that I am no photographer. I have a couple of digital cameras but other than pointing and clicking, I really don't know what to do with them. I think I had some settings wrong since a lot of my pictures were just washed out you couldn't tell what was in the pictures! So, bear with me. They pictures aren't great, but you get the idea.

Above is the entrance to the rose garden. Immediately behind me is parking and on the other side of parking is the beach and then Lake Erie. So, not only are the roses gorgeous, the rest of the scenery is just as spectacular.

There is just about every color of rose in this garden.


The garden is made of up rows of concentric circles. Each section of a row will have another type and color of a rose. Here you can kind of see what I'm talking about with the rows.

It's just beautiful! From the entrance, I turned around and took a picture. You can see just how close we are to the water. Unfortunately, when I tried to take pictures of the water, they were all washed out. Inside of that arch, at the end of that black pier coming from the right is a lighthouse. Yeah, that didn't come out at all!


When we got home, Ron did futz with the settings on my camera, so hopefully next time there will be better pictures.

The roses themselves were indescribably. Here are a few examples:







One is even more beautiful than the next, for sure.

It was a great day in our neighborhood. We walked all through the garden. It was a magical place; a peaceful place. I know I will be back there soon if for nothing else, to stop and smell the roses.

1 comment:

Kitty said...

There are many beautiful things in California, but local parks are NOT on the list. I'm jealous!!!