Thursday, April 30, 2009

Mmmm

When I was growing up, there was a neighborhood bakery in our neighborhood, Colonial Bakery. We bought all of our bread from there. It was nothing fancy, just their regular sandwich loaf (we asked for the loaves with the darker crust). They'd pick out a loaf for us, and put it on the slicer. That's how fresh this bread was! It did not stay on their shelves long and it was never cut until it was purchased. This stuff was just the bomb.

We've all been spoiled. Unfortunately, eventually Colonial Bakery closed. It was a sad day for all of Erie as far as I was concerned. And, since then, I can not find a decent bread. That was the only white bread I liked. Since there was no other white bread that I thought was palatable, I gave up on it and switched to wheat. Ron and I used to buy this 12 grain wheat bread that was bearable for awhile, but they seem to have switched their recipe recently, so it's not what it used to be.

Just the other day I went for groceries and spent almost 20 minutes walking up and down the bread aisle looking for a loaf of bread! Nothing looked good as none of it is Colonial Bakery bread and there are NO substitutes for it other than home made bread.

In a past life, I got a bread maker. I don't think I've used it since I've moved to Ohio, but I have it. It wasn't too hard to find, there in the baaaaaaack of the cupboard behind just about everything kitchen related I own.

I used to make bread quite often. There was a bread mix that I used to get at Target. It came in like a coffee can and was the easiest thing to use. You put water in the bread maker, then measured out how much mix for one loaf and turned the machine on. Ok, I also added raisins just because they make any bread oh so much better. I don't remember just how many loaves the can of mix made, but it was quite a few. And, it was vegan friendly for my frequent visitor who also loved fresh bread with raisins! (Hi, Jo!) It wasn't Colonial Bakery bread but it was really good.

Then, the bread mix changed. It was no longer vegan friendly and it was no longer sold in the coffee can. That was the end of me making bread.

The bug has hit me again after spending all that time in the grocery store the other day and just "settling" on a loaf.

Anyway, I got up this morning at Oh-My-God-O'clock (don't ask) and wanted to do something productive but quiet. So I dug out the bread maker and got to work. And, yes, I also added raisins!

Too bad this blog doesn't come with smell-o-vision because right now my house smells fantastic!

As a side note, I have been having a hankering for Chipotle's, one of my absolute favorite restaurants! Who can resist their chicken burrito with onions and peppers? Squeeze a little lime in there and I'm telling you it's close to heaven. Especially since they've finally put a Chipotle's near us over by the Midway Mall. There is no longer any excuse NOT to go to Chipotle's! Unfortunately, it's not one of Ron's favorite places, but he did give in to me and we had plans today, after his service call, to go there for lunch. I think my homemade bread just trumped Chipotle's and that's hard to do!

So, I'm going to go downstairs and slice up my bread, and grab the good Krakus Polish ham that's in my fridge (another taste of growing up) and enjoy a feast in my own dining room. If anybody wants some, you better hurry!

3 comments:

Mati said...

{Sniff sniff} I can smell that bread all the way down here! Sounds like some good eats in your house tonight!

Autobus Prime said...

The Colonial Bakery's 'Pullman loaf', right? It was wonderful. It looked just like King bread, but tasted like heaven...I think it may actually have been a Platonic ideal of some sort. :D

Unknown said...

Hi, Autobus and thanks for stopping by!

YES!!!!!!! The Pullman loaf! OMG honestly, have you ever had anything so good since? While I've gotten better with my bread maker, it's still not Colonial Bakery bread. I miss that place!