Monday, January 19, 2009

That Was Helpful

With me being home so much lately, I have been trying to cook dinner most nights.

Since I have very few recipes in my repertoire, I have been asking for help and ideas on how not to cook the same five meals every week.

In comes my sister, Cathie! She gave me a magazine subscription to Taste of Home magazine. While the magazine is great, even better than the magazine is their website. Once you sign up for their website, not only can you search all their recipes, but you can put the ones you like in a recipe box so you can go back to them at any time.

Another great feature is their grocery list option. I pick a couple of new recipes a week, put them on my grocery list, then print out the list. The list has everything needed for the recipes I've chosen. The list is then divided into sections of the grocery store! So, spices will all be together, meats together, produce together, etc. It's awesome! Then I take the list to my cupboards and cross out what I already have. I have spent many an hours on this website!

Today I was planning my menus for the week and decided I wanted to make scallops with alfredo sauce. I've tried a few jar alfredo sauces and I've not been overly excited about any of them. I wanted a home made alfredo sauce. It couldn't be that hard.

So, I went to my new favorite website, and in the search window typed in "alfredo sauce". In return, nine pages came up that all had some kind of alfredo sauce in it.

One of the things I like about this website is that the recipes all seemed easy, and the ones I've tried to do I did with no problem. That said, I randomly chose six recipes from the first three or four pages to see if I could get a good recipe for alfredo sauce. Yeah, each and every one of them said under ingredients, "one 17 ounce jar of alfredo sauce".

Duh.

I could have done that without searching the doggone website! Luckily, a little more digging and I found an actual recipe to create the sauce from scratch.

So, scallops alfredo is scheduled for Wednesday night.

Tomorrow, I am making what I make best for dinner: reservations at Applebee's!

1 comment:

Mati said...

Add a little margarita to that dinner reservation and you'll be in heaven!