Friday, January 16, 2009

It Came In With A Bang

Yes, today is my birthday.

Out of 365 days in a year, I think your birthday is the best day of the year. After all, many people celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, 4th of July, Arbor Day, etc., but your birthday is all for you. People who know you and love you should tell you on this day that they are happy you were born. People, it's all about the phone calls, the cards, the emails. Yes, I live for my birthday. I am awake at midnight to usher in my birthday and I stay awake until midnight to say good bye to my birthday for another year.

This year was a pretty good birthday for me. It actually started on January 15th, at 11:55 pm. Let's go back to that time last night:

My sister Cathie lives in California. For as many years as I can remember, Cathie calls me at midnight to start the birthday celebration with me! Last night, she called me at about 11:55 pm my time.

Cathie was sitting outside with her dog, talking on the phone with me. Suddenly, even here in Ohio, I hear the loud, long screech of tires followed by a large BANG. Anyone who has been anywhere near an automobile accident knows that sound.

Since it was dark, Cathie couldn't see what happened, so she grabbed her flashlight and was going to check on the driver. It ended up that an SUV laid down some series skid marks on the road, crossed the road, flew over the ditch and wrapped around a tree. Cathie was on the scene with a couple of other neighbors within a minute of the accident. The fire and rescue squad was right behind them, and they were there trying to cut the driver out of her SUV. At last update, the driver was conscious and answering questions, but was not getting out of the vehicle without a lot of help from firefighters.

So, that's how my birthday started with a bang!

I had a good family day. I spoke to, heard from, or saw all of my siblings! That is always a darn good day! I heard Cathie and Jim sing happy birthday, just like Grandma used to do it, accent and all! I don't care how many times you hear those imitations, it always gets me right here. Yeah, that was a good thing!

Michael came over with cake and ice cream and joined in on the pizza party with me, Ron and Phil. (Did you read the last post that it's freaking -13 degrees here? There was NO way I was leaving this house to go out in the cold!) It was a great pizza party, and Michael even provided the cake! We added candles, and I had them blown out before the fire department had to be called!

There was even a surprise video chat with my niece JoBeth and her husband and two little boys. Like I said, a darn good day!

Now, I'm going to enjoy the last 42 minutes of my birthday, sitting here on my heating pad and just enjoying the quiet.

I couldn't have asked for a better day!

1 comment:

Mati said...

Sounds like an awesome day!