Sunday, November 24, 2013

Out of the Weather

And no, they are NOT in my house!

The weather has sure turned freakin' cold these last couple of days.  It has gotten absolutely frigid out there.


These two month old kittens and their mama have been on my porch.  Mama has been with me for over a year and this is her second litter.  My kitten Lily, is from her first litter.

With the weather changing, I have been worried about these babies.  I thought Adrienne, the mama, would be ok.  She's lived through winters before on my porch.  But these little ones . . . yeah, I'm getting soft in my old age.

We know I am a foster failure.  That's how I got Maggie and that's how I got Lily.  Once they come in my house, it's almost impossible to let them go.  But, I didn't want anything happening to these helpless babies out there.

So, I found someone to foster all three of them!  I set traps on my front porch where I feed them.  Last night, Saturday night, I caught Adrienne.  The kittens were no where to be seen though.  I sent Adrienne to the foster home and put the traps back on the porch.

I was so worried about the kittens getting caught during the night and then sitting in a cold metal cage all night long in that cold.  I was up half of the night, going out checking if the traps have been sprung!  Ok, now that I'm typing this, I probably should have just turned the traps so I could see them from the window!  Duh.  Hindsight and all of that.

Anyway, the big trap kept getting sprung but with nothing in it.  I don't know if the high winds last night kept setting it off or what.  Early this morning though, I finally caught one kitten.  The litter mate stayed by the caught sibling.  I tried to catch her with a net but she was too smart for that.

I took the trap upstairs into my bathroom, took my big cat carrier, put a nice towel in the bottom of it and transferred the kitten from the trap to the carrier.  I took the trap right back outside and with the kitten watching me, I put the food back in it, set the door and covered the trap with a towel.  Believe it or not, in about 20 minutes, I had caught the second kitten!  Back upstairs, transferred her to the carrier with her brother and at least they were warm and out of the weather.

I took them to the foster mom who already had Adrienne.  She gave them a quick look over and then took them to the vet.

The little brown one on the left is a girl, Alice, who is 1 lb 9 oz.  The little gray striped one on the right is a little boy, Alfonzo, and he is 1 lb 15 oz.  They both have colds and are on antibiotics and eye ointment.  No surprises there.  The foster mom will get them healthy, work with them so that they get used to people and are hand tame.  Once they are healthy and over 2 lbs, they can go be spayed and neutered and then put up for adoption.

Adrienne hopefully will get spayed this coming week.  Once she recovers, she will be evaluated.  She has always been wild and has never even let me get near her.  The foster mom will work with her and see if she can get her hand tamed.  She can work miracles with cats, so I am hoping!  If she can be hand tamed, she can be sent for adoption.  If not . . . Adrienne will be re-released back on my porch.  At least if she's released, she will be spayed and not producing any more litters.  If she's brought back, I will continue to put food out there for her and will make a shelter out there for her.

For now, the kitties are all out of the weather and hopefully on to better lives.

I leave you with two really good and really important announcements.

1.)  If you have outside pets, please make sure they have adequate shelter in this weather or bring them inside! 

2.)  Please spay or neuter your pet.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Big hugs! You are awesome!!!!! Good luck with all your goals. I keep my finders crossed.

Debi said...

Those kitties are luck to have found you!

Ruth said...

So glad you were able to catch those little ones....now you can relax until the next batch arrives in the spring, hopefully!!
Also glad you found someone who can help you send them to good homes!! You are just too AWESOME!!

Unknown said...

That's why I am having them spayed and neutered so that I don't have any more litters on my porch!

Unknown said...

There wouldn't be this cat problem at all if all people would spay and neuter their cats immideately after buying them or after adopting. So you did the best for them. ...a bit concerned about the money ... there are a lot of stray cats outside....

Unknown said...

I agree, Georgia. Around here, the shelters all spay and neuter before they will let a cat or dog be adopted. It's the strays, the private owners and the puppy/kitten mill stores that need to be accountable.

And, I am at the end of my financial means. I have helped all I can help. :( I wish I could do more.

Mark said...

They're adorable!!

Ron said...

Honey, What's under the sheet in the bathrrom?

Ron said...

Honey, what's under the sheet in the bathroom?

Unknown said...

Ok, right now these very two kittens just MIGHT be in a pen in my bathroom! But I swear it's just for tonight!!! I'm just filling in for their regular foster mom for ONE night! Swear!!!

Ohhhh....there's teeny tiny kittens in the house to go play with!! ;-)

Mark said...

You rock!! A tip of the hat and two thumbs up for you! Bless you for doing this. Those kittens are adorable.