Sunday, October 19, 2008

What's New?

There hasn't been a lot to report on lately, so I haven't reported. I'm still hurting, I'm still not at work, physical therapy is kicking my ass, I'm not getting better as fast as I'd hoped. That aside, here's what else is going on around here.

My car is finally ready! I'm not sure I can drive my car yet, being a manual transmission, so Phil was nice enough to be volunteered to go with Ron and I to pick up my car and drive it back home for me. The car came home on Friday. It looked ok; but the back bumper does look a little different. It's hard to explain, but the bottom of the bumper is different. I am not saying it's bad; just different. The good news is that for the $4,000 it cost to fix my car, I got my car back after it had a good cleaning. Windshield is spic and span and it once again has that new car smell. Cheap at half the price, huh?

The three of us then came home Friday afternoon for some rest and relaxation. Ron and I were downstairs playing a little Wii pinball (the only Wii game I can do since the accident!) when eventually Ron needed a smoke break. He headed out to the front porch for a smoke when he immediately stuck his head back in the door to inform me of the "police activity" in the neighborhood.

Anyone who has read this blog knows that police activity isn't that unusual in this neighborhood, and when it happens, we are outside, front and center to view it. However, when I went outside to look for myself and saw the SWAT van, I felt we hit the jackpot and HAD to get a closer look!

I grabbed my jacket, and eventually all three of us ended up walking a little ways down the street to check it out. There were numerous police vehicles, including one specifically marked "Sergeant" and one marked "Lieutenant". Regular police vehicles had one block of our street blocked off from traffic. There were also a few unmarked cars parked inside and outside of the barricade. And, the best part of it all: the SWAT van right in the middle of the block!

As we were walking closer, we see that there are numerous police officers standing around, one of them is putting away a battering ram. So many things to see! Then the coup de grace was the officer stationed on top of the SWAT vehicle. Ok, I at first thought he was getting a good view of the target house. Then I noticed that this SWAT officer on top of the van, complete with rifle, actually had his back to the target house and was pointed out at US! Ok, maybe not US in particular, but US as in the crowd that had gathered to watch. What the heck was that about?

Ok, Ron explained that the sniper on the van was probably there to watch the backs of the other officers to make sure that none of us crazies were going to rush the officers. But c'mon! When's the last time you had a sniper looking your way with a loaded weapon in his hand? This is like four in the afternoon for crying out loud! However I was not taking any chances. I was keeping a big old tree between me and the sniper. I wasn't stupid! I was all about hiding behind a tree, no matter how guilty it was making me look.

The worst part of this all is I've been checking on line daily with the local newspapers and can't find out anything about what all this was about. You'd think with 10 or so police cars plus a SWAT van that this would make the local news. Oh well, I guess in our neighborhood, since there wasn't a bloody shootout, no harm, no foul.

Anyone wanna come over? Bring your own flak jacket.

2 comments:

Jim's Blog said...

Hardly a Dull Neighborhood that you live in. Sure beats TV. Always something new going on in your "hood"

Mati said...

I've got an idea...since you're home and on the mend, how about reporting to the local news agencies about all the activity in your neighborhood? That gives you an excuse to interview the cops when there about what's happening, and you're being a good citizen by letting everyone else know what's going on. We could call you Mrs. Pochatko...nobody would ever know!