Thursday, December 13, 2007

Needed: Rebound Testers

One present I received as a youngster for Christmas was a game called Rebound. It’s a simple game, using a few ball bearings with bumpers on them, plus a plastic board consisting of two side by side lanes with two angled rubber bands at the top of the lanes. The object of this game is to shoot your ball bearing up one lane, off one rubber band, off the second rubber band, down the second lane to lined scoring areas - sort of like shuffleboard scoring. You shoot too hard and your ball bearing zooms right off of the second lane, no score.

It was a cool game, but the best memory of this game is the back story that goes with it. Brothers Michael and Jim put my game together that year before Christmas to “test” it out before I got it, to make sure it worked. A couple of evenings, the boys were in the attic playing with my game and all we could hear in the kitchen is that dang ball bearing zooming up and down the plastic lanes. My parents probably knew exactly what was going on upstairs, but I didn’t. And, they wouldn’t let me upstairs to look, so it was driving me crazy! Come Christmas Eve, I get my game, Jim knows how to play it really well as he’s been practicing, and kicks my ass on every round. So not fair! The joke that year was that my game even came pre-tested!

Saturday, Ron and I were doing some Christmas shopping for the little kids in his family. And what did I see on the shelf? Rebound! Yeah, I talked him right into buying it for one of the kids. I was hoping to “test” the game Sunday evening but unfortunately, time got away from me. Don’t be surprised by the time that gift is presented at the Christmas party that it’s not a fully tested version of Rebound.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dan and Clayton also had that game!! We loved it and spent many, many hours playing it. We never Tested it prior to giving it, but I think we can beat your ass at it!! Have fun!