Tuesday, August 23, 2005

They Are Everywhere!!

What the heck is up with the crickets?

As I think you all know, I have an aversion to just about everything, but tops on that list is bugs. Any kind of bugs. Crickets fall into that category. Bugs. Ick.

Saturday, I went into the garage to get the bird seed to refill the feeder. I had to jump over a cricket on the garage floor. Ok, that sounds harmless, and I was mostly ok with it. After all, it's outside. That's where crickets belong. Even the garage, I'll give to the outside "stuff". I hold no domain over my garage. I want nothing icky in my car, but the garage I guess is neutral territory. So, being the nice person I am, I jumped over the cricket. No overpowering urge to smash it to smithereens.

Which brings us to Sunday. I went down to the basement to do some laundry. Please picture me, walking down the stairs, carrying the laundry basket. I turn the corner and THERE IT IS! A big, black bug on the basement floor! I scream for Ron. He comes running in (believe it or not) his bare feet! I warned him that at the least he needed some big shoes. Or, to be safe, he could have grabbed my gun before running downstairs! Hey, I think I did mention that it was a big, black bug. Ron chose to come downstairs in nothing but his bare feet anyway. Upon closer inspection, I was told that:

1. It's only a cricket
2. It's a dead cricket

Grrr. I hate to waste a good panic attack on a dead cricket. But, since he was there any way, Ron did get rid of the carcass, and he did scout the laundry-doing area for any other offending creatures that might be lurking, ready to get me. When I got the "all safe" sign, I proceeded with the laundry.

Now we're up to Monday. You will never guess what was hopping and jumping all over our office! Ok, since you're reading a story about crickets, you've probably guessed. A baby cricket! Dang, I can't get away from them! The ones I work with found humor in the fact that I wasn't happy about this BUG in the office, but since Ron wasn't around, I chose to live with it. Especially since it was technically hopping around the office next to mine, not exactly in mine! Bonus! So that cricket lived to see another day.

Today is Tuesday. Today's surprise was again found in the garage. As soon as I walked in, there it was! Right by the back end of my car....a CRICKET! This one wasn't dead, either! What's going on? What's up with this? Is it me they are stalking? Is there a conspiracy? Should I call the FBI? The CIA? The ASPCA? Buddy Holly??

No comments: