Saturday, September 25, 2010

Vacation - Wednesday

Wednesday was our travel day.

Before traveling, Cathie took us to the Amtrak station and waited with us for the train. I gotta tell you a few things about Amtrak! While it is cheap and comfy, they have some weird rules.

We checked our two bags, they took them and immediately came back asking what was in the one bag. Ron and I had to put our heads together to really think what we just packed in that bag an hour before. I know there was clothes in there. And books. What else? A couple of cosmetic bags. Oh yeah, and my diabetic meter. It took us probably three or four minutes before we got to guess the meter when finally they were satisfied. I guess something showed up on x-ray that they weren't happy about.

Keep in mind, this is the exact same stuff we checked through Continental for our flight over here. But, Amtrak had issues with my meter. I had to take it out of the bag and carry it with me as we couldn't check any medical equipment. Ok, whatever.

Meter out of the bag they finally took our bags. To be so worried about what was in my bag, the rest of their security measures sucked! Cathie walked right out onto the platform with us and was able to stay with us until we stepped on the train. That part was awesome for me but for real, a diabetic meter can't be checked but anyone can stand on a platform? Whatever.

Here is me and my Sissy! She's on the left, I'm on the right!



We had a five hour train trip from Oxnard CA to San Diego. I'm telling you, for $32 each, there is no way we could have put enough gas in a car to get us to San Diego! This was definitely the way to go. It was a very relaxing trip in seats much bigger than airplane seats! I napped off and on but stayed awake for the most part.

The only part that freaked me out is we pulled forward into the train station in Los Angeles. We had about a 20 minute layover in LA and they we'd be on our way. I actually fell asleep some time during this layover and when I woke up we were moving backwards! What the heck happened? I was getting a little freaked out watching everything go by in reverse, so since the train was pretty full leaving LA, we waited until we stopped at a few stops and the train emptied out pretty quickly. We went and found another seat facing the now front and we were good to go!

It was a nice relaxing day in the middle of our vacation. We watched the scenery go by, we waved to people on the roads and napped and read my book. Now that's a vacation!

Our friends, David and Edna, picked us up at the train station in San Diego. The station is right in downtown San Diego and we stayed in the area for a late dinner. We went to Blue Water Seafood Market & Grill. Holy cow! This is a small hole in the wall kind of place but the fish was some of the best I ever had! If you look at the link, the menu is simple. But there are no bad choices. Ron got a cup of the Cioppino, which is a fish stew and he actually got to eat most of it! I had a few bites and had to hand it right back over or he wouldn't have gotten any of it back. Yum!

I chose for dinner a Hawaiian Wahoo that was teriyaki blackened on a sandwich. O.M.G. Just thinking of it now, I could go back there for another. If you're ever in San Diego, FIND THIS PLACE! mmmm

That was Wednesday. It was an awesome day. Just wait until you find out what we did Thursday!

No comments: