Thursday, June 22, 2006

Where's The Orkin Man When I Need Him?

Ok, this was not the best start to a day.

I’ve written previously that I have what I thought was an above average hotel room. When you walk in the door, you walk down a little hallway, maybe 10 feet long. Then, on the left is a little changing room with the sink, and closet. Beyond that is the bathroom with a toilet and shower.

Instead of turning left into that area, if you go straight into the room, there is a king sized bed on the left, a TV and dresser on the right. Farther in are a couch and coffee table on the left and a desk and chair on the right.

The back wall beyond all that is a sliding glass door that goes out onto a little patio that has two chairs and a table.

Like I said, I thought it was a bit above average. No refrigerator and no microwave, no free continental breakfast, but still not bad.

That’s what I thought . . . until this morning.

I had just finished dressing and had thrown my laptop bag over my shoulder and was ready to go into the hallway to the closet where my shoes spent the night. From there, I am out the door.

When suddenly . . .

I saw . . .

An uninvited guest in my room.

Yes, an uninvited and most unwanted guest in my room.

There was a cockroach on the floor in that hallway.

What’s a girl to do? He’s between me and my shoes. I don’t have my .357 on me, and worst of all, Ron is 700 miles away! I can’t jump over it (it may get me) I can't go out the other way because there IS no other way. I am stuck.

I grabbed my book and started to try to smash it. I say try because it took quite a few hits with a hardback book just to get it to slow down. Holy cripes this thing was ugly. Not the biggest one I’ve ever seen, this one was probably just an inch or so long. But that doesn’t matter. A freakin’ roach is a freakin’ roach. UGH.

I finally incapacitated it enough to be able to take a half of a tissue box, pick it up and flush it down the toilet. I flushed three times, just to make sure. Then I scrubbed my hands with hot soup and water a bunch of times and even had to soap up a rag and try to clean off the cooties from my book. Thank goodness it’s a library book! (Think about THAT next time you get a book from the library!) Now I’m shaking and want nothing more than to just go home. Now I’m afraid of my laptop bag, I’m afraid of my luggage bag, I was even afraid to put my shoes on. Ewww. How many more of his buddies were around?

As calmly as I could, I left my room, locked the door and headed down the elevator to the lobby. Very calmly and as quietly as I could so as not to disturb the breakfast eaters down there, I explained that I had just come from room 316 where I just had the misfortune of having to kill a roach. I requested that the room please be sprayed with something before I come back tonight.

The girl truly looked shocked that I said roach. She even asked if I was sure. Um, I think you only need to see one of those damn things in a lifetime to never forget what a roach looks like. Yes, I was sure. I should have brought my half box of tissue paper downstairs for her to see instead of flushing it. Ugh again.

She assured me that my room would be sprayed today. As compensation, she even gave me a coupon for a free breakfast.

Hmm. Kill a roach = free breakfast. Not even close.

Not a good start to the day. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket on my way back. After that start, the cosmos owe me one!

No comments: