Sunday, May 11, 2008

It WAS As Good As He Said

We had a nice quiet morning on Saturday.

The wedding started at 2:00 and our hotel was less than a mile from the Church. So, we did a little shopping then decided to have an early lunch.

For as long as I've known Ron, one of his famous sayings is "well, it's good, but it's not as good as Rose Garden". If I heard it once, I heard it a thousand times. Really, how good can one restaurant be? I love Chinese food as much as the next person but can this place really be all that?

I was about to be indoctrinated into the nirvana that is Rose Garden. Just to antagonize Ron, I really didn't want to like it. I planned on ending with "it was ok. Not all that, but ok". You have no idea how I hate it when he's right. Which by the way, is all too often!

Rose Garden is small. There might have been 10 tables, maybe 12 tables. After a little reunion with the owners (who are good friends of Ron) we took one of the last empty tables. Keep in mind, this place just opened for the day and it was already almost full. By the time we were done there was a line of people waiting on a table.

Ron told me it was a buffet but I didn't see any buffet tables. They do what they called "buffet" but it's not like a buffet I've been to before. You sit at the table, they bring you your beverage and then one at a time they come out with the bowls of food and they go table to table offering portions. Remember, I didn't want to like it. In the end, I can't tell you which dish I enjoyed more. I can tell you I didn't care for the egg rolls but aside from that, holy crap. Right then and there I told Ron he was right, and trust me, saying those words hurt!

From the steak and onions to the chicken and broccoli to the best sweet and sour pork I ever had. On the side was absolutely the best fried rice and lo mien in the world. This truly was one of the top three restaurants I've ever been to.

After all that, we ended up back at the hotel to get ready for the wedding. It was now raining like heck, but I've heard that's good luck on a wedding day. The wedding went very well with a gorgeous bride and a handsome groom and crying parents and grandparents and lots of smiles and hugs around.

The reception was at a golf course country club. I guess in Minnesota the golf playing days are a lot fewer than in other places. I guess that accounts for the fact that there was a ton of guys playing golf in the rain! Maybe they were just happy it wasn't snow.

The reception was very nice with champagne for everyone. Gotta love that! We met a lot of new people and had a very nice time. By the time that was over, we had definitely had our fill of food for the day. The rest of the evening was spent resting at the hotel.

The adventures for today are still in the works. Here's to day two of our vacation!

No comments: